When I worked a standard 8-5 corporate job, I’d wake up at 5am to get my workout in before heading to the office.
It wasn’t ideal, but as a single Mom it was the only way I could guarantee I’d be able to hit the gym consistently. At first, getting up that early sucked, but with a little practice, it got easier.
One thing that was critical to my success was eliminating as many obstacles as possible the night before:
• when it was cold, I would sleep with a long-sleeved shirt on to make getting out of a warm bed easier.
• lay my clothes out the night before — jacket on doorknob and shoes underneath.
• have something light, fast and easy prepared to eat beforehand; usually Greek yogurt and a handful of nuts or a piece of fruit.
• slam a liter of water with the occasional 200mg caffeine tab (or iced coffee prepared the night before for you junkies).
• have my gym bag ready-to-go with keys, wallet, headphones, water bottle, etc. by the front door to grab on my way out.
• also, going to bed at a decent time to ensure I got enough sleep.
Creating an environment conducive to reaching your goals will help make the path to obtaining them a much smoother ride. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot by making this harder than it has to be.